Monday, October 7, 2013

Namaste, Asana, Savasana...Excuse Me?!




By Sarah Duerr, Yogi and member of Hope For The Warriors staff\
A few years ago I would have guessed these were names of sushi roles, not common language in the yoga world.  I first discovered yoga after dealing with an over use injury while training for my 3rd Marathon.  The words a runner never wants to hear come out of my doctor’s mouth April 2010, "you have to take some time off." What?! I have a half marathon next weekend, five other races planned before I run New York in November! I asked the dreaded question, "Well, what am I cleared to do?"  He replied, "Yoga or swim for the next month and we'll see." I left the office feeling like a failure, defeated.
The next morning I went to a yoga studio in my neighborhood, convinced it would never be a workout, not like running.  I was 15 minutes into class when I was proven wrong...very wrong.  I could barely walk the next day, and I LOVED IT! I continued to go 4 days a week and even when I was cleared to run again, I continued to practicing yoga twice a week in place of my shorter runs.  I ran my fastest and healthiest marathon ever that fall, and I owe it all to yoga!  Not only do I enjoy the physical part, but the mental connection to my body and the emotional relaxation an hour of yoga can provide.

October 1st kicked off a new fundraiser for Hope For The Warriors®, East vs. West Coast Yoga Challenge!  We are challenging our supporters to improve their health through yoga, while improving the lives of our wounded servicemen and women! That may mean increasing the number of times you practice each week, trying different styles of yoga, meditating 5 minutes a day, or even trying yoga for the first time. 
The pledge is $10 and all monies raised will go directly to Hope For The Warriors® to support wounded service members, their families and families of the fallen.

And the best part? Wounded service members and military families will join all of us in this challenge. Many of our own service members have learned to utilize yoga as part of their physical and psychological recovery. Your $10 will directly support their recovery.
Join us on Facebook at Hope For The Warriors® Yoga Challenge and register at www.hopeforthewarriors/2013yogachallenge

Namaste



 

No comments:

Post a Comment