Thursday, May 29, 2014

The Golf Fix to Air a Special Veterans Episode June 2

For its fifth year in a row, Golf Channel will air a special episode of The Golf Fix featuring veterans who love the game of golf and Hope For The Warriors®. The following testimonials from veterans explain how working with host Michael Breed and The Golf Fix improved their game and outlook on life since appearing on the show. (The year they appeared on the show is in parenthesis.) 

The special episode of The Golf Fix airs Monday, June 2 at 7 p.m. EST.

Joel Hunt (2013)

Michael Breed reiterated to me that I'm human. I forget that just because you have a disability, you can still adapt to everything. You have to finish the swing no matter what life throws at you.







Nick Bradley (2011)

Michael Breed and his team on The Golf Fix helped my game is so many ways.  Not only did Breed help me get my swing on plane, he also gave me the best putting advice I have ever received.  He told me nothing was wrong with my putting stroke I just needed to practice aiming. And that is exactly what I did.  It has improved my golf game ten fold.  I owe much thanks to Michael Breed and the Hope For The Warriors® team for making this possible.

Nick and Domingo at an LPGA Tournament in Mobile, AL

Domingo Eslava (2012)

Working with Mr. Breed was pretty much the start of my golf career.  From that moment off I knew I wanted to do something in the golf industry.  Other than playing golf any chance I got, I also volunteered my time by helping others get interested in the game of golf.  This sport really helped me with my depression and got me focused on a career outside of the military.  Before golf I was lost, I was scared, and I really didn’t know where to start.  Hope For The Warriors® was a huge help in changing my life, they gave me so many opportunities in and outside of golf.  They helped me above anything I could have ever expected.  When I got the call to go to Florida and meet with the Golf Channel I had no idea what was in store.  It wasn’t until the morning of the meet and greet that I found out I was going to be on the Golf Fix with Michael Breed.  The experience alone was a great highlight of my life and the motivation Michael Breed and Hope For The Warriors gave me really helped me move onto a new life without the military. 

When I retired from the military I relocated to South Carolina because, of course, the golf is all year round.  I searched for many courses to join and set my heart on Crowfield Golf and Country Club.  Robert Brock who is the Head Professional at Crowfield really helped me get settled into the area and made me feel comfortable at my new home.  I spent a lot of time trying to develop my game but never knew where to start my career.  My current golf coach, Kurt Adamski, the Assistant Professional, came to me with a great opportunity.  He offered me a job working at a Pro Shop attendant recognizing my aspiration on making golf my new career.  After being hired, both Mr. Brock and Mr. Adamski really took my under their wings and showed me the ins and outs of the golf industry, while also getting me ready for the Player Ability Test to begin my training in the PGA Program.

In March I played my Players Ability Test at The Walkers Course at Clemson University and was able to make my qualifying score to move on into the PGA Program.  I am now registered as a PGA Apprentice and currently seeking employment as an Assistant Golf Professional so that I may move forward in my PGA career.  I would like to thank Michael Breed and everyone at the Golf Channel for the great opportunities they have given to me and all of us service members who see golf not just as a hobby or a game but the perfect therapy to get us through the hard times.  A special thanks goes out the Kurt, Rob and everyone at Hope For The Warriors® for changing my life and other lives with your contributions.


Bobby Joseph (2011)

I didn't know what I was getting myself into meeting Michael Breed and learning how to swing with a bad ankle, which was one of the injuries that I sustained from the Improvised explosive device (I.E.D) on the third tour in Iraq. I didn't want to go because I just had my ankle worked on, which was hard to walk on and very tender. Michael Breed taught me a unique swing without putting pressure on my left ankle and held my balance. I was the happiest Wounded Warrior ever! Who would of thought that in my lifetime that I'd play golf and enjoy it.









Wyatt Larkin

In the spring of 2011, I chose to participate in the Birdies for Charity program through the AJGA Leadership Links. The organization I picked was Hope For The Warriors®, which helps our wounded service members get back on their feet after serious injury. The first time I heard about Hope For The Warriors® was on the Golf Channel show Golf Fix with Michael Breed. Marine Bobby Joseph and Airman Nick Bradley were guests on the show. While watching, I felt serious compassion for them. I felt the need to take part in helping provide them with what they need. I had a desire to help make their life as enjoyable as possible, especially after all they've done for my family and our country.

My experiences with Hope For The Warriors® have been life changing. I approach my personal challenges with a different attitude now. The challenges we face at home are easy compared to what the soldiers face in combat while fighting for our freedom and what they face when they return home with injuries. Listening to their stories makes me work harder than I ever have. I think it is important to show that there is a younger generation that wants to help.

For the second consecutive year, I visited Camp LeJeune and played in the Scarlet & Gold Invitational with wounded Marines. Their stories were amazing and they taught me to be happy no matter the circumstances. They are true heroes. With the intention of helping them, I am amazed at how much they have helped me. I am truly humbled.

I was invited to attend the Bush Center Warrior Open in Dallas, TX and had the honor to talk with President George W. Bush while he graciously signed my copy of Decision Points. My dad and I had a blast watching the warriors play. Their ability to hit golf balls while dealing with numerous disabilities is miraculous. 

My intention is to continue supporting worthy causes like Hope For The Warriors®. Hopefully other young golfers will see the importance of giving not just money, but their time. Golf is a “gentlemen’s game;” Gentlemen are helpful, kind, and will give when needed. The PGA has a tradition of supporting charitable causes. We need to continue that spirit to keep the reputation of the sport held high.



You now have the chance to tweet the golf pros your questions throughout the 
day Monday and during the airing of this special episode of The Golf Fix. 
Use #TheGolfFix to join the conversation!

No comments:

Post a Comment