- 91 suicides occur each day; 18 are veterans
- Suicide is the second leading cause among 25-34 year olds
- Suicide is the third leading cause among 15-24 year olds
Men and women approach suicide differently and although men are more likely to commit suicide, more women attempt suicide. However, among veterans, the numbers change a bit.
- Female veterans are 3x more likely than civilians to complete their suicide attempts.
- Male veterans are 2x more likely than civilians to complete their suicide attempts.
The Veteran Crisis Website offers a number of important services including online confidential chat line, self-check quiz and other resources. There is also an important list of warning signs. If you are part of an organization that works with veterans, materials can be downloaded from the site with the logo above.
The VA is working very hard to help our veterans. My final statistic: although 18 veterans commit suicide each day, among veterans affiliated with a VA, the number drops to 5 suicides/day. We would all like to see those numbers lower, but the VA is moving in the right direction.