Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Amazing Work of the VFW

In the late afternoon, on December 22, I received a call from a friend, asking for help for his neighbor.  The neighbor's son is a young Marine, now a double amputee, in rehabilitation at Brooke Army Medical Center (BAMC).  He was coming home the next day for Christmas and the father suddenly realized that getting his son's wheelchair into the home would be difficult.  My friend was calling me for help. 

I looked at the date and the time and was lost.  We support wounded service members and their families, but I don't know how to build a ramp.  I called my President, Robin, who shared several ideas.  Her strongest advice:  "Call the local VFW first.  They are an amazing group and they can probably help you."

It was past 6 p.m. when I called the VFW in Plano--the Casey Joyce Post 4380 and the phone was immediately answered.  I went up the chain of command within the Post and before I knew it, I was speaking with Marty Nell, the Post Commander.  I told him what I needed, and when I needed it.  There was no hesitation in Marty's voice when he told me that building a ramp would be no problem.

The next day, one of the members, Steve, called me.  He was prepared to build whatever ramp the home would need.  And he did just that.  He was at the home and putting a ramp in place less than 24 hours after I called the Post.  The Marine had just come home and Steve had the great honor of meeting this young man in person.

Presenting Steve, and the VFW Plano with
a small "thank you" gift
I spoke with Steve on the phone, offering that Hope For The Warriors® pay for any supplies needed to get the ramp made.  Instead, Steve built the ramp with wood that he already had on hand.  Then he called the city and they provided a ramp to be used from the street. 

The mission of Hope For The Warriors® to ensure that "no sacrifice forgotten, nor need unmet" cannot be done alone.  It is great having wonderful groups such as the VFW to work alongside us.  Thank you to all the members of the Casey Joyce Post 4380 and to all of our VFW members out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment